Dr. Peter J. Millett is an internationally recognized orthopedic surgeon who specializes in disorders of the shoulder, knee, elbow and all sports-related injuries. As a partner at The Steadman Clinic, Dr. Millett has been consistently selected as one of the “Best Doctors in America” and has been ranked in the top 1% of Orthopaedic Surgeons by U.S. News and World Reports. Through the use of advanced open and arthroscopic surgical techniques Dr. Millett focuses on restoring damaged joints, ligaments and bones in the shoulder, elbow and knee. From weekend warriors to pro athletes, Dr. Millett provides the same world-class skill and personalized care to treat all patients.
About Dr. Millett
Dr. Millett is an orthopaedic surgeon and sports medicine specialist board certified by American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He has been ranked in the top 1% of Orthopaedic Surgeons in America by U.S. News & World Report. His focuses include:
- CAM arthroscopic shoulder surgery for shoulder arthritis
- Arthroscopic double-row rotator cuff repair
- Arthroscopic Bankart and shoulder stabilization procedures
- SLAP repair and treatment of throwing athletes
- Latarjet procedures (bone grafting of the glenoid) for shoulder instability
- Proximal humerus fracture repair
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Reverse shoulder replacement
- Knee replacement surgery
- Superior capsular reconstruction (SCR)
- Arthroscopic AC joint repair
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) repair and reconstruction
- Meniscus injuries
- Arthroscopic suprascapular nerve release
- Distal biceps tendon rupture
- Proximal biceps tendon ruptures
- Snapping scapula syndrome
- Arthrofibrosis of the knee
- Sternoclavicular joint injuries
Less common conditions which Dr. Millett treats routinely:
- Co-Director, Harvard Shoulder Service (2001-2005)
- Author, over 200 peer-reviewed, scientific articles
- Physician, US Ski and Snowboard Association
- Medical Director Vail Ski and Snowboard Club
- Chair of the Research Committee for the Arthroscopy Association of North America 2014 – 2016
- Consultant, Major League Baseball Players’ Association
- Consultant, National Hockey League Players’ Association
Dr. Peter J. Millett is an internationally recognized orthopedic surgeon and sports medicine specialist who focuses on disorders of the shoulder, knee, and elbow. He is Director of Shoulder Surgery at the Steadman Clinic and serves as Chief Medical Officer of the Steadman Philippon Research Institute. He has been consistently selected as one of the “Best Doctors in America” and has been ranked in the top 1% of Orthopaedic Surgeons by U.S. News & World Reports.
Dr. Millett has treated elite athletes from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, PGA, Formula One, X-Games, and the Olympics. Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dr. Millett is also a member of numerous academic societies including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, the Orthopaedic Research Society, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, the Herodicus Society, and the German Arthroscopy Association (AGA). Dr. Millett has chaired the Neer Circle, is a member of the Sports Council, and serves on the advisory board of the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth.
Dr. Millett previously held a faculty appointment at Harvard Medical School and was Co-Director of the Harvard Shoulder Service and the Harvard Shoulder Fellowship. While in Boston, he also founded and directed the Musculoskeletal Proteomics Research Group at Harvard, where his team discovered and patented the protein profile for osteoarthritis. His clinical practice in Boston was based at Brigham & Women’s and Massachusetts General Hospitals.
Dr. Millett has authored over 350 peer-reviewed, scientific articles, numerous book chapters, and 4 books on Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, and Shoulder Surgery. His academic work has been recognized with awards from several international societies, including multiple Achievement Awards from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. He has trained over 100 US and international orthopaedic surgeons and has been honored with the Outstanding Teacher Award from the fellows of the Steadman Clinic and Steadman Philippon Research Institute.
Dr. Millett helped pioneer a number of orthopaedic procedures. He is known for labral repair surgery and bone graft (Latarjet) procedures in elite athletes and is acknowledged as a pioneer and inventor of treatments for advanced and complex rotator cuff tears, such as the linked, bridging, double row repair technique that is now among the most commonly used surgical methods to repair torn rotator cuff tendons worldwide. He also developed an advanced arthroscopic shoulder surgery known as the Comprehensive Arthroscopic Management (CAM) procedure to treat young, active patients with osteoarthritis to delay shoulder replacement. As an inventor, Dr. Millett has over 45 patent filings of this original ideas and and has developed over 60 medical devices and products that are used in patients around the world every day.
Dr. Millett serves as Medical Director for Ski and Snowboard Club Vail. He has served as a team physician for the United States Ski & Snowboard Association and as a consultant to the Montreal Canadiens, professional hockey club. He is currently a consultant to the NHL Players Association and the MLB Players Association. He served as Chair of the Research Committee for the Arthroscopy Association of North America and as Chair of the Education Committee of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons. He serves on the board of overseers and the scientific advisory board of the Steadman Philippon Research Institute. He is an Ambassador and Board Member elect for the US Ski & Snowboard Team. He is a board member of the Vail Health Foundation and the Eagle Valley Behavioral Health Initiative. Dr. Millett is a member of the Visionary Research Society of the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation. Dr. Millett also works or has worked as a consultant to a number of medical device, pharmaceutical, and medical education companies including Arthrex, Myos, Ivy, Game Ready, VuMedi, and Joint Preservation Innovations to help advance the treatment of orthopaedic and sports medicine disorders. He was a founding partner of Pivot Medical, an innovative sports medicine company, which was acquired by Stryker.
A native of Pennsylvania, Dr. Millett received his undergraduate degree from the University of Scranton, in Scranton, Pennsylvania and his medical degree from The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth (formerly Dartmouth Medical School) in Hanover, New Hampshire. He also studied as a research scholar at the University of Cambridge in England, where he was awarded a master’s degree in science (M.Sc.) for his work in skeletal biology. His work focused on molecular mechanisms of pathologic bone loss and its prevention.
Dr. Millett performed his orthopaedic residency training at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, part of Cornell University’s Medical School. While there, research he co-authored twice received the Lewis Clark Wagner Award for excellence in orthopaedic research. He also won the American Orthopaedic Association – Zimmer Travel Award, a national award for orthopaedic research. Dr. Millett performed additional subspecialty, fellowship training in sports medicine, knee and shoulder surgery with Drs. Richard Steadman and Richard Hawkins in Vail, Colorado. As a fellow, Dr. Millett served as an associate physician for the Denver Broncos and the Colorado Rockies.
Dr. Millett and his wife have four children and are very active philanthropically supporting the Vail Valley Foundation, Vail Health, the Steadman Philippon Research Institute and St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Church and School. An avid outdoorsman, Dr. Millett also enjoys skiing, cycling, and fly fishing. Dr. Millett supports a number of conservation foundations and has served as a board member of the American Museum of Fly Fishing.
- 2005: Associate Surgeon and Partner, Steadman Clinic
- 2010-present: Board Member and Scientific Advisory Board, Steadman Philippon Research Institute
- 2006-2009: Board Member and Scientific Advisory Board, Steadman Hawkins Research Foundation
- 2000-2005: Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
- 1995-2000: Instructor, Weill Medical School of Cornell University
Dartmouth Medical School
University of Cambridge, England (MSc in skeletal biology); Thesis on cytokine regulation and differentiation of osteoblasts and their role in pathologic bone resorption
Orthopedic Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery (Cornell University – Weill School of Medicine); (New York Hospital, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center)
Sports Medicine, Knee, Shoulder, and Elbow surgery, Steadman Hawkins Clinic
- American Shoulder and Elbow Society
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Orthopedic Research Society
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- New England Shoulder and Elbow Society, Founding Member
- Rocky Mountain Shoulder and Elbow Society, Founding Member
- AGA – German Arthroscopy Association – Honorary Member
- 2014: U.S. News and World Report’s “Top 1% Doctors in America
- 2014: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Achievement Award
- 2014: Instructional Surgical Video Award – Best of Meeting – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2014 – Selected to Advisory Board of OBERE EXTREMITÄT. Schulter – Ellenbogen – Hand – German journal of shoulder, elbow and hand surgery
- 2013 – Elected as Honorary Member AGA – German Arthroscopy Society
- 2013: U.S. News and World Report’s “Top 1% Doctors in America
- 2013: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Achievement Award
- 2013: Feature Presentation Award – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2013
- 2012: U.S. News and World Report’s “Top 1% Doctors in America.
- 2012: U.S. News and World Report’s “Top 1% Doctors in America.
- 2012:Beckers Orthopaedics ranking Outstanding Shoulder Surgeons and Specialists
- 2011: U.S. News and World Report’s “Top 1% Doctors in America”
- 2010: Achievement Award, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2010: O’Hara Award, Distinguished Alumnus in Medicine, University of Scranton
- 2010: Boland Lecturer, Mercy Health system and The University of Scranton
- 2009: Finalist Caboud Award, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- 2008: Guest Shoulder Surgeon, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- 2006-present: Best Doctors in America
- 2004-present: Castle Connelly’s List of America’s Top Doctors
- 2005: George J. Davies – John A. Gould Award for Excellence in Clinical Inquiry from the Journal of Orthopedic Sports and Physical Therapy
- 2005: Best scientific exhibit – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2005: Guest surgeon – German Shoulder and Elbow Society – live arthroscopic rotator cuff repair surgery
- 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010: Guest surgeon – Shoulder consultant to country of Bermuda
- 2005: Caspari Award, International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopedic Sports Medicine
- 2005: Finalist – Neer Award, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- 2004: Kilfoyle Award, New England Orthopaedic Society
- 2004: Finalist – Neer Award, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- 2000: Lewis Clark Wagner Award for Excellence in Orthopaedic Research, Hospital for Special Surgery
- 1999: Lewis Clark Wagner Award for Excellence in Orthopaedic Research, Hospital for Special Surgery
- 1999: American Orthopaedic Association-Zimmer National Orthopaedic Residents’ Travel Award
- 1996: Surgical ‘Intern of the Year’ Award
- 1995: Dartmouth-Mosenthal Surgical Scholar, Founding Member
- 1993: Dartmouth Medical School Research Scholar
Submit your review
I went to Dr. Millett after 7 knee surgeries (6 on my right and 1 on my left) and had seen 11 different surgeons who all refused to remove femur metal from my right leg. I am highly allergic to metal and the chronic pain was leaving me bedridden for 3.5wks out of a month. He personally wrote me back on my inquiry, listened to my concerns, scheduled my surgery within a week (due to insurance issues) and personally followed up with my recovery. The level of patient care from Dr. Millett and his ENTIRE team is above any care I have ever received in my 20 years of dealing with orthopedic surgeons. There are not enough words to describe the level of care, dedication and professionalism you receive from Dr. Millett and his staff.
My only disappointment is that I did not find him sooner!!!
After 40 plus years of rock climbing and mountaineering behind me I had worn out a shoulder. Not wanting to give up my passion for high places, I researched and learned that Dr. Millett is a talented and exceptional surgeon, someone who I could trust to get me back on the rock. I made the absolute right decision.
My shoulder replacement is a huge success. Dr. Millett and his team were amazing every step of the way. From my initial consultation to my final check-off, post-op visit, I was given the very best of care. Three months out from surgery I'm ready to start climbing and mountain biking once again.
I had sent Dr. Millett a text thanking him for his tremendous skill on my behalf. His response to me was that it was a team effort. His self effacing demeanor is truly admirable, and speaks volumes about the respect that he gives to his patients and to his team.
I know that when I climb or mountain bike in the future, I will think of Dr. Millett and his team. Thank you so much for helping me to get back on the rock.
I rely on my life-long habit of fly fishing for psychological support. Dr. Millett reconstructed my casting shoulder a year ago. I now have tremendous, pain-free flexibility and strength after a failed surgery in Michigan. He's remarkable, and has truly saved an essential activity for me.
Dr. Millett is a world class surgeon located in a world class facility in beautiful Vail, CO. What more can you say? Well, Dr. Millett is also a very empathetic and caring person with a fantastic team of assistants and supporting staff who all take extra time and attention to explain the details and answer any questions.
The whole Steadman Clinic experience with Dr. Millett far exceeded all of my expectations. I could not believe how seamless the whole process was starting with my first visit with Dr. Millett, through the surgery scheduling, operation, post-op, and post-surgery follow-up visits.
I lived for almost 15 years with a painful and weak right shoulder that significantly impacted my lifelong love of tennis and even daily activities. After several prior diagnoses and surgeries (shoulder and spinal) by other surgeons over the years, Dr. Millett correctly identified my rather unusual shoulder issue as Suprascapular Neuropathy (SSN). He was able to perform the required delicate procedure to repair my SSN as well as repair other issues within my shoulder that required attention. I am now pain free with great range of motion and starting down the path to recover the muscle mass and strength that I had lost over many years of nerve impingement. For me, this has truly been one of those rare life changing events.
I give Dr. Millett, his entire team, and the Steadman Clinic my highest recommendations. I can't adequately express my most sincere thanks to Dr. Millett and his entire team.
After being told I should have a shoulder replacement by another surgeon, Dr Millett performed the CAM procedure on my right shoulder in May 2018. I traveled from PA. This is a miracle. I now have full range of motion. I can now sleep, dress, drive, along with all the daily activities I was previously unable to do. Thank you Dr Millett!!!
Dear Dr. Millett,
It was nearly one year ago that I came to you with a tibial plateau fracture in my left leg and a stress fracture in my right leg, injuries I sustained while completing the 2017 Boston Marathon.
I am thrilled to report to you that I finished my 24th consecutive Boston Marathon yesterday in 4:11:19, despite the 40 degree temp, 20-40mph headwind and non-stop downpour. And the best part is that I ran pain-free for the entire race!! Since I only needed to finish in 4:25:00 to qualify for my 25th next year, I am now able to look ahead to next year with great excitement and anticipation.
There are no words that can fully express my appreciation for all you have done for me. Please know how deeply grateful both Rick and I are for your expert surgical skills as well as your true caring and compassion for your patients.
I'll be dropping by the clinic in the near future to say hello.
Warm personal regards,
Steamboat Springs, CO
Total shoulder 2 years ago. 20 years of pain. Now pain free and happy. Life changing surgery. Feel free to call 9708460644
I’m here skiing in Vail and wanted to take a pause to mention how grateful I am to Dr. Peter Millett. April will mark 3 years since he did my allograph reconstruction, My rotator cuff was beyond repair and after Dr.Millett’s skilled surgery, I am pain free, playing golf, skiing, and loving life. His staff is excellent and attentive and the clinic is first rate. Thank you thank you!
Dr. Millet is indeed an AMAZING surgeon!! After years of dealing with pain I finally decided to get the surgery I needed. Not only did I need shoulder surgery, but also clavicle, and bicep tendon repair. I feel so fortunate to have one of the best surgeons on the planet working on me!! He is also such a wonderful person, made me feel comfortable with what needed to be done and made me feel special!! I can not say enough about him and his team!!! I love them!!
As a former college athlete and weekend warrior I started experiencing pain and tightness under my right scapula region in late 2012. I saw two orthopedic surgeons close to home in California who didn’t know what was going on and sent me to physical therapy. After almost a full year of physical therapy and hopelessness I did some research and came across Dr. Millett and his experience in treating injuries and symptoms around the scapula region. I had exhausted all resources close to home and knew if I wanted to get down to the bottom of what was truly going on I needed to seek a consult from Dr. Millett. I booked an appointment in early 2014 and flew out to see Dr. Millett to get my life back. I saw him first thing in the morning and within minutes he knew what was going on and ordered an MRI, which I received that same day, to confirm his diagnosis. Sure enough he diagnosed me with snapping scapula syndrome as a result of a chronically inflamed bursa between my scapula and rib cage. Luckily he knew how to treat this and had a track record of successful surgeries. Before I left Colorado I booked surgery for the following week and came back to see him. Surgery went phenomenal and I can’t tell you how terrific the pre and post operative personnel were at the hospital and PT clinic. I stayed in Vail for a few days to do PT with Dr. Millett’s staff and to monitor the operative site. After that I flew home to rehab with a therapist close to home and within 3-4 months I was back doing the things I enjoy. Dr. Millett gave me a second chance at a healthy, active lifestyle and I couldn’t be more indebted to him. He is world class and I tell anyone near or far if you want to be treated by the best, don’t hesitate to travel to see the best even if you are an out of state patient like me. Thank you Dr. Millett.