Dr. Peter J. Millett is an internationally recognized orthopedic surgeon who specializes in disorders of the shoulder, knee, elbow and all sports-related injuries. As a partner at The Steadman Clinic, Dr. Millett has been consistently selected as one of the “Best Doctors in America” and has been ranked in the top 1% of Orthopaedic Surgeons by U.S. News and World Reports. Through the use of advanced open and arthroscopic surgical techniques Dr. Millett focuses on restoring damaged joints, ligaments and bones in the shoulder, elbow and knee. From weekend warriors to pro athletes, Dr. Millett provides the same world-class skill and personalized care to treat all patients.
About Dr. Millett
Dr. Millett is an orthopaedic surgeon and sports medicine specialist board certified by American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He has been ranked in the top 1% of Orthopaedic Surgeons in America by U.S. News & World Report. His focuses include:
- CAM arthroscopic shoulder surgery for shoulder arthritis
- Arthroscopic double-row rotator cuff repair
- Arthroscopic Bankart and shoulder stabilization procedures
- SLAP repair and treatment of throwing athletes
- Latarjet procedures (bone grafting of the glenoid) for shoulder instability
- Proximal humerus fracture repair
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Reverse shoulder replacement
- Knee replacement surgery
- Superior capsular reconstruction (SCR)
- Arthroscopic AC joint repair
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) repair and reconstruction
- Meniscus injuries
- Arthroscopic suprascapular nerve release
- Distal biceps tendon rupture
- Proximal biceps tendon ruptures
- Snapping scapula syndrome
- Arthrofibrosis of the knee
- Sternoclavicular joint injuries
Less common conditions which Dr. Millett treats routinely:
- Co-Director, Harvard Shoulder Service (2001-2005)
- Author, over 200 peer-reviewed, scientific articles
- Physician, US Ski and Snowboard Association
- Medical Director Vail Ski and Snowboard Club
- Chair of the Research Committee for the Arthroscopy Association of North America 2014 – 2016
- Consultant, Major League Baseball Players’ Association
- Consultant, National Hockey League Players’ Association
Dr. Peter J. Millett is an internationally recognized orthopedic surgeon who specializes in disorders of the shoulder, knee, elbow and all sports-related injuries. As a partner at The Steadman Clinic, Dr. Millett has been consistently selected as one of the “Best Doctors in America” and has been ranked in the top 1% of Orthopaedic Surgeons by U.S. News and World Reports. Dedicated to quality patient care, Dr. Millett was awarded the 2017 Premium Care Physician by UnitedHealthcare. Through the use of advanced open and arthroscopic surgical techniques Dr. Millett focuses on restoring damaged joints, ligaments and bones in the shoulder, elbow and knee. From weekend warriors to pro athletes, Dr. Millett provides the same world-class skill and personalized care to treat all patients.
As a shoulder and sports medicine specialist, Dr. Millett has treated elite athletes from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, PGA, Formula One, X-Games, and the Olympics. Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dr. Millett is also a member of numerous academic societies including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, the Orthopaedic Research Society, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and the German Arthroscopy Association (AGA). Dr. Millett is a member of the prestigious Sports Council and was recently honored to join the The Herodicus Society, which is considered the Sports Medicine All-Star Society.
Prior to coming to Vail, Dr. Millett held a faculty appointment at Harvard Medical School and was formerly Co-Director of the Harvard Shoulder Service and the Harvard Shoulder Fellowship. While in Boston, he also founded and directed the Musculoskeletal Proteomics Research Group at Harvard, where his team discovered and patented the protein profile for osteoarthritis. His clinical practice in Boston was based at the prestigious Brigham & Women’s and Massachusetts General Hospitals.
He has authored over 200 peer-reviewed, scientific articles, numerous book chapters, and 4 books on Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, and Shoulder Surgery. You can view much of his work under the Press and Publication area of his website. His academic work has been recognized with awards from several international societies, including the 2016 Achievement Award from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons for his contributions to the field. In addition to his clinical excellence, he was also recently honored with the 2016 Outstanding Teacher Award from the fellows of the Steadman Clinic and Steadman Philippon Research Institute.
Through his dedication to research and innovation, Dr. Millett helped pioneer an advanced arthroscopic shoulder surgery known as the Comprehensive Arthroscopic Management (CAM) procedure. CAM helps young, active patients with osteoarthritis delay or avoid shoulder replacement. He is also known for his work on advanced and complex rotator cuff repair, having developed a double row repair technique (Speed Bridge) that is one of the most commonly used surgical methods to repair torn rotator cuff tendons.
Dr. Millett serves as the medical director for Ski and Snowboard Club Vail. He has served as a team physician for the United States Ski and Snowboard Association (U.S. Ski Team) and as a consultant to the Montreal Canadiens, professional hockey club. He is currently a consultant to the NHL Players Association and the MLB Players Association. He served as Chair of the Research Committee for the Arthroscopy Association of North America and as Chair of the Education Committee of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons. He serves on the board of overseers and the scientific advisory board of the Steadman Philippon Research Institute. He is an Ambassador for the US Ski and Snowboard Team and is a member of the Visionary Research Society of the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation. Dr. Millett also works as a consultant to a number of medical device, pharmaceutical, and medical education companies including Arthrex, Myos, Ivy, Game Ready, and VuMedi to help advance the treatment of orthopaedic and sports medicine disorders.
A native of Pennsylvania, Dr. Millett received his undergraduate degree from the University of Scranton, in Scranton, Pennsylvania and his medical degree from Dartmouth Medical School in Hanover, New Hampshire. He also studied as a research scholar at the University of Cambridge in England, where he was awarded a master’s degree in science (M.Sc.) for his work in skeletal biology. His work focused on molecular mechanisms of pathologic bone loss and its prevention.
Dr. Millett performed his orthopaedic residency training at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, part of Cornell University’s Medical School and one of the oldest and most prestigious orthopaedic residency program in the country. While there, he twice received the Lewis Clark Wagner Award for excellence in orthopaedic research as well as the American Orthopaedic Association – Zimmer Travel Award, a national award for orthopaedic research. Dr. Millett earned additional subspecialty, fellowship training in sports medicine, knee and shoulder surgery with Drs. Richard Steadman and Richard Hawkins in Vail, Colorado. As a fellow, he also served as an associate physician for the Denver Broncos professional football team, the Colorado Rockies Major League Baseball team, and the U.S. Ski Team.
Dr. Millett and his wife have four children and are very active in the Vail Valley community, serving as a member of the Future Founders Society of the Vail Valley Foundation and as parishioners of St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Church and School. An avid outdoorsman, Dr. Millett also enjoys skiing, cycling, and fly fishing and is a past board member of the American Museum of Fly Fishing.
- 2005: Associate Surgeon and Partner, Steadman Clinic
- 2010-present: Board Member and Scientific Advisory Board, Steadman Philippon Research Institute
- 2006-2009: Board Member and Scientific Advisory Board, Steadman Hawkins Research Foundation
- 2000-2005: Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
- 1995-2000: Instructor, Weill Medical School of Cornell University
Dartmouth Medical School
University of Cambridge, England (MSc in skeletal biology); Thesis on cytokine regulation and differentiation of osteoblasts and their role in pathologic bone resorption
Orthopedic Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery (Cornell University – Weill School of Medicine); (New York Hospital, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center)
Sports Medicine, Knee, Shoulder, and Elbow surgery, Steadman Hawkins Clinic
- American Shoulder and Elbow Society
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Orthopedic Research Society
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- New England Shoulder and Elbow Society, Founding Member
- Rocky Mountain Shoulder and Elbow Society, Founding Member
- AGA – German Arthroscopy Association – Honorary Member
- 2014: U.S. News and World Report’s “Top 1% Doctors in America
- 2014: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Achievement Award
- 2014: Instructional Surgical Video Award – Best of Meeting – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2014 – Selected to Advisory Board of OBERE EXTREMITÄT. Schulter – Ellenbogen – Hand – German journal of shoulder, elbow and hand surgery
- 2013 – Elected as Honorary Member AGA – German Arthroscopy Society
- 2013: U.S. News and World Report’s “Top 1% Doctors in America
- 2013: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Achievement Award
- 2013: Feature Presentation Award – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2013
- 2012: U.S. News and World Report’s “Top 1% Doctors in America.
- 2012: U.S. News and World Report’s “Top 1% Doctors in America.
- 2012:Beckers Orthopaedics ranking Outstanding Shoulder Surgeons and Specialists
- 2011: U.S. News and World Report’s “Top 1% Doctors in America”
- 2010: Achievement Award, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2010: O’Hara Award, Distinguished Alumnus in Medicine, University of Scranton
- 2010: Boland Lecturer, Mercy Health system and The University of Scranton
- 2009: Finalist Caboud Award, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- 2008: Guest Shoulder Surgeon, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- 2006-present: Best Doctors in America
- 2004-present: Castle Connelly’s List of America’s Top Doctors
- 2005: George J. Davies – John A. Gould Award for Excellence in Clinical Inquiry from the Journal of Orthopedic Sports and Physical Therapy
- 2005: Best scientific exhibit – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2005: Guest surgeon – German Shoulder and Elbow Society – live arthroscopic rotator cuff repair surgery
- 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010: Guest surgeon – Shoulder consultant to country of Bermuda
- 2005: Caspari Award, International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopedic Sports Medicine
- 2005: Finalist – Neer Award, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- 2004: Kilfoyle Award, New England Orthopaedic Society
- 2004: Finalist – Neer Award, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- 2000: Lewis Clark Wagner Award for Excellence in Orthopaedic Research, Hospital for Special Surgery
- 1999: Lewis Clark Wagner Award for Excellence in Orthopaedic Research, Hospital for Special Surgery
- 1999: American Orthopaedic Association-Zimmer National Orthopaedic Residents’ Travel Award
- 1996: Surgical ‘Intern of the Year’ Award
- 1995: Dartmouth-Mosenthal Surgical Scholar, Founding Member
- 1993: Dartmouth Medical School Research Scholar
Submit your review
Total shoulder 2 years ago. 20 years of pain. Now pain free and happy. Life changing surgery. Feel free to call 9708460644
Dr. Millet is indeed an AMAZING surgeon!! After years of dealing with pain I finally decided to get the surgery I needed. Not only did I need shoulder surgery, but also clavicle, and bicep tendon repair. I feel so fortunate to have one of the best surgeons on the planet working on me!! He is also such a wonderful person, made me feel comfortable with what needed to be done and made me feel special!! I can not say enough about him and his team!!! I love them!!
After 6 months of disappointing visits to numerous doctors in the Atlanta area, I was desperate for a doctor who could help me with a dislocated Sternoclavicular (SC) Joint injury. I searched the Internet and found Dr. Millett. I was hesitant at first, but my pain was unbearable, so I took a leap of faith and reached out for a remote consultation. Within a few weeks of sending my records, I received a call from Dr. Millett. He immediately impressed me with his patience as I conferenced my husband into the call. He reviewed his assessment of my situation and offered to have his surgical coordinator call me to schedule a face to face consultation and surgery. Amanda Rakow called me the very next day to schedule my consultation and surgery in Vail. Amanda and I immediately hit it off. She was so responsive to all of my questions, truly cared for me and my being comfortable with my decision to come to Vail for surgery. She is the Best! Dr. Millett and his team (Brian, Jason, Joe) were very professional and put me at ease during my consultation. Dr. Millett was very down to earth and explained my surgical options in terms that were easy to understand. My surgery consisted of Dr. Millett removing a tendon from my leg to reconstruct my SC joint. My surgery was at 8:30AM and throughout the day members of Dr. Millett’s team stopped in to check on me. Dr. Millett stopped by at 10:30PM before he left for the day. Even after a very long day, he displayed a very caring bedside manner and took time to insure that I was doing well. What a fabulous experience from start to finish!! It has been 5 months since my surgery and I am living pain free thanks to Dr. Millett and his team!
Dr. Millet and his team are world class. I can’t speak highly enough of him. I had had a prior surgery go poorly. Dr. Millett found the issue, fixed it and also corrected some damage done by the prior surgeon. He has amazing bedside manner, listens fully to your concerns, then brings his incredible knowledge and skill to the operating room. I’m only one day out from surgery and moving better and with less pain than after weeks from my previous surgery. From the first visit, I could tell that they just do it right at The Steadman Clinic. I’m blessed to live in Colorado and have this clinic here, but I would have traveled from anywhere now that I’ve seen firsthand how great they are. Thanks, Dr. Millett! I can’t express enough how important it was to be able to trust you as my surgeon. With Gratitude, Gloria Truax
I’m not one of Dr. Millett’s famous patients, but he and his staff made me feel like one. For 8 years—since I was 14—I suffered from chronic scapula pain. Sixteen doctors, countless diagnostic tests and 4 weeks at one of the top chronic pain management clinics in the country failed to diagnose, let alone relieve my pain. So I searched the internet and found Dr. Millett. Like all the other doctors, he did not see any abnormalities on my images; but unlike the other doctors, he did not stop there. He did not make me any promises, but he offered me a surgical plan and, most importantly, hope. By that time, I had forgotten how to hope. I am now a little over 6 weeks post-op and my pain is gone. I feel great and now look forward to resuming a full practice, recording and performance schedule (I’m a professional musician). Dr. Millett and his staff are second to none. If you have a seemingly unsolvable medical problem, I have hope for you; and the reason for my hope are Dr. Millett and his staff. Be well.
My name is Scott R., am 60 years old, and have been very physically active all my life. To date, Dr. Millett has done both my L/R total shoulder replacements and two knee arthroscopic procedures. In short, Dr. Millett is a superb physician possessing extraordinary surgical skill, highest degree of patient care, and great bedside manner.I am so appreciative that Dr. M and his team got me back to an active, pain-free lifestyle. It is very obvious Dr. Millett/his team are committed to achieving the best possible surgical outcome. Before I elected to have L/R total shoulder replacements I had endured several shoulder surgeries done by other orthopedic physicians. None were completely successful evidenced by my residual level of pain and reduced range of motion.I was skeptical of a total shoulder replacement as I feared I would have to give up many activities I had enjoyed all my life. I was also concerned the shoulder prosthetic implants would loosen over time. Dr. Millett and his P.A., Brian Davis, carefully examined my shoulders in a thorough manner. They both exuded such a confident manner that I left the exam fully assured I was in the best possible hands.I am now two years post both L and R shoulder replacement surgery. I could not be happier with the result and am enjoying all the physical pursuits I did before the surgeries. I also want to state that I am grateful Dr. Millett has repeatedly advocated for me to get MRIs, arthrograms, and preferred medications approved by my insurance company. It is yet another example of his commitment to the highest level of patient care. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Millett and his team!I recommend Dr.Millett to you without reservations. He is superb!Scott R.Golden, CO
Dr. Millett and his team do extraordinary work. Dr. Millett, Brian, Joe and Jason all worked together really well. Brian showed me my MRI and x-ray. He showed me the tear in my meniscus and where my ACL had snapped. Dr. Millet gave me my options, and as this was the 2nd ACL on my right knee, I asked his advice. He explained my options very thoroughly so that I could make an informed decision. He did everything he could to save my meniscus and repair my ACL. A month and a half later, everything is healing as expected. This is my 3rd knee surgery and by far the best experience I've ever had. I highly recommend Dr. Millett.
Dr Millett and team have done a miracle to my shoulder.I have more range of motion than ever three months after surgery.I am active as I was before my injury.What still amazes me is the genuine care combined with excellence this team provided.Even the PT is world class.Truly superstars
I had surgery 1 week ago, and Dr. Millett and his team provided extraordinary care pre, during and now post-operation. It couldn't have gone more smoothly. I am thoroughly impressed by their professionalism, caliber of expertise, and genuine care for their patients. Highly recommend.
Flew to Vail from Cincinnat for my daughter to see Dr Millett after visiting with multiple other shoulder surgeons. He and his staff were hands down the best. For a surgeon to be so accomplished and respected professionally, and yet be so humble and patient would not seem possible. After our visit he and his staff continued to go above and beyond to help us by providing us with patient references, published studies, and they really went to bat for us dealing with our insurance company. I highly recommend Dr Millett.